Sunday, June 9, 2013

Whanau

I'm home from my own overseas adventures, just as Dr. Ullinger begins one, and Dr. Giblin is still in the middle of her own. This doesn't mean the anthropological adventure itself is over. It is great to be back with my family, as one of the things that makes anthropological research difficult is being apart from our kin for extended periods of time. This has led me to think of how important kin, fictive or otherwise, are to our success as a program and a discipline.
What I'm working on now is a proposal for a major in anthropology at Quinnipiac, and I use the concept of kin quite seriously with this endeavor. While students are ultimately responsible for their GPA, and to demonstrate their independent work, anthropology cannot be done, or done well, if we don't rely on one another. We must learn from others in order to make sense of the human lives that came before us, or to understanding the joy and suffering of our contemporary peers. My adventure now is to write a proposal that captures the best of what anthropology has to offer-a major where students work together, and with their professors, to get the most out of their education and to contribute to what is known about the human condition.
I'd love to hear from any students if they have thoughts, ideas about what would be interesting to them if they were to become a part of our AN family.

Prof. Haldane

No comments:

Post a Comment