Friday, June 7, 2013

Anthropology = Friends Everywhere

There are many reasons to love anthropology.  But, one of the most amazing things about studying anthropology is that you end up having friends that travel, live and work EVERYWHERE.  I have only been in London for 3 days, and I have already seen two old friends!

A.A. was a fellow graduate student at Arizona State University.  She completed her dissertation on teeth, but now works for the London School of Health and Tropical Medicine.  I saw her on the first day that I arrived.  Today, I was surprised in the Duckworth by M.G., a former student in the NSF-REU that I co-directed at Notre Dame. He is now finishing his dissertation at Cambridge.

On Sunday, I will be joined here by S.S., a colleague that I have worked with at Notre Dame since I was an undergraduate there.   Later this summer, I will meet up with R.F.  She and I started our PhDs at the same time at Ohio State, and she is now a lecturer at University College Dublin.  I will also meet up with T.M., another fellow grad student from Ohio State who now lives in Bristol.

You meet a lot of wonderful people in anthropology.  The amazing thing is that you can find them years later wherever you go in the world!

--Professor Ullinger

1 comment:

  1. I wish I was in London bumping into you too. How great.

    ReplyDelete