Monday, June 10, 2013

Festival Weekend

So far the Archives have been great, I have been learning something new each day and have been staying busy. They have put a lot of work into the intern program and I already know that this is going to be a great experience.






There is a great market on the north end of town that sells fresh produce from local farmers. I am trying to make it a habit to buy more fresh food, especially when I can get such great deals on it! There are people from all over the area that come to sell their products, whether it be fruit, cheese, or handcrafted furniture. It is a great place to go on the weekends and is surrounded with small bookstores and coffeeshops that have some great food. 





I also went to the Smithsonian National Zoo with some of the other interns I have met in the city. The zoo is huge, and we saw so many animals! I was very excited to see the gorillas as I have never seen one before! 
This guy sat right in front of me but wouldn't turn around!

In addition to the zoo, I also went to an Israeli culture festival in northern Washington. One of the girls who lives in my house (is from Yale actually) brought us and we ate some really delicious food and listened to a ton of great music. 

There was a map where people would post where they were from or where they had grown up in Israel





After the Israeli culture festival, we went to DC Capitol Pride which stretched four blocks down
Pennsylvania Avenue. It was a huge, very lively event with lots of music and food. We even witnessed a marriage proposal- a man proposed to his boyfriend on stage in front of everyone, it was very cute.








A few of my housemates and I after the festivals
:] Emily 

2 comments:

  1. Great photos, Emily. I'm curious to know if the market is a daily operation, or a weekend event. The fruit looks amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The part of the market is open daily, but the best time to go is on the weekends when it is in full swing and the flea market is open as well

    ReplyDelete