Wednesday, July 10, 2013

Anthropology at the Library

After a very busy few weeks, I have successfully executed my first program - Archaeology!

I was excited to run a program about archaeology, but I know nothing about it so first I hit the books. Using library resources, I learned as much as I could but still felt nervous about pulling it off. I decided to go more of a "fun" route than an educational one, so I made sure to give many disclaimers before the program that I am NOT an expert and our program should not be considered an accurate representation of an archaeological dig.

First I built a little archaeological site in a box. I left work and went to Sleeping Giant to collect dirt and artifacts. Since I was still in "professional" attire, I received some strange looks from hikers. For the record, scooping dirt into a cardboard box is somewhat challenging in a skirt and heels. Those of you on actual digs look much more comfortable.



As for "artifacts," I did some research on stone tools. I wanted to show the teens some examples of what archaeologists might find at an actual site. I collected rocks and attempted to shape them into different types of tools using a flaking method. Interestingly, the sites with the best information about how to make stone tools were mostly survivalist blogs. It was tricky, but I was moderately successful. Again, I explained to the teens that these were NOT real artifacts, they were just examples of what some might look like.

One of the better materials for stone tools is obsidian. I found some on ebay so I decided to order it and see if I could actually make anything. It didn't arrive in enough time to use it in the program, but I decided to go for it anyway, because what else did I have to do on a Saturday night?

My former roommate, Hanna, flew all the way from St. Louis to visit me and was pretty psyched to help with the project. Twizzlers were necessary for proper stone tool making.

I pretended to know what I was doing.

Flaked obsidian is really sharp! Apparently it's still used in some surgical tools.

There were some casualties (sorry about the gore).

Even Sable was curious about our project!

She was very helpful.

But then I was overwhelmed by her cuteness and had to scoop her up. She was not happy.
Anyway, the programs were really successful. Some parents signed up their reluctant teens beforehand, but I also had a few drop-ins. I ended up with nine attendees, which is nine more than I expected. The library has many great programs for younger kids, but there isn't much for teens. I was happy to offer a program that was well attended and enjoyed!

Future anthropologists at work

My next program is Forensic Anthropology. I'm excited about this one because I'm more comfortable with the material. Fingers crossed!

-Lucy

3 comments:

  1. Your program looks like a great success, Lucy!

    I'm glad that you showed the gore that ensued from flaking obsidian. We should have a huge disclaimer "Kids, don't try this at home!!"

    Did you go to John Shea's talk? Do you remember his joke?
    Q: "What does obsidian taste like?'
    A: Blood.

    I can't wait to hear how the forensic anthro day goes. I'm so happy to see photos of archaeology day!

    -Jaime

    ReplyDelete
  2. I didn't get to go to the talk! I'm sure it would have been helpful for this program... oh well.

    ReplyDelete
  3. VERY cool, Lucy! I have always wanted to include a flintnapping element (he he he, punny) to my archaeology course. I was thinking about doing some experimenting this summer - now you can show me how to get started! Minus the blood, hopefully!

    ReplyDelete