Friday, May 31, 2013

So, I have been in DC since Tuesday, and as much fun as I have been having, I can honestly say I am glad it is the weekend. I will finally have time to catch up on some sleep. I started work at the National Archives on Wednesday. I will be working with Army records from the Revolutionary War up until 1917. There are many people that write letters or emails asking about specific records relating to their family members, or information for a biography, research project, or dissertation. A large part of my job will be reading the letters, checking to see if we have the information they are looking for, and responding to the letters. I will spend a lot of time working hands on with documents dating back to the Revolutionary and Civil wars, so needless to say- its pretty cool.

Now that it is the weekend, I am looking for fun things to do around town. I was looking on the Smithsonian website when I stumbled upon this article discussing evidence for cannibalism in 17th century Jamestown during a time now referred to as "the starving time" between the winter of 1609 through 1610. It is very interesting and it has me wondering just how accurate facial reconstructions are...

http://smithsonianscience.org/2013/05/forensic-analysis-of-17th-century-human-remains-at-jamestown-va-reveal-evidence-of-cannibalism/

-Emily

No comments:

Post a Comment